Saturday, March 24, 2012

Bed time prayers

Since they were old enough to learn a prayer, Josh has been saying the traditional "Now I lay me down to sleep..." prayer with the kids. And when he's not here, I say it with them too. I recently decided to add a little something to our prayer routine. I want our children to know that prayer is not about saying the right words, in the right way. Prayer is about a relationship and a conversation with God. I want them to know that Jesus is their friend and they can talk to him just as easily, and unencumbered, as they do with me. So, after we recite our traditional prayer, I've started asking the kids if there is anything else they would like to tell Jesus. Sometimes I have to prompt them a little...but every once in a while, like tonight, they come up with something all on their own.

Tonight, I asked them the same question,

Me: Is there anything else you would like to tell Jesus tonight?

Wyatt: Dear Jesus, thank you for my v-reader and my Woody doll. Amen.

Me: Rea, is there anything you would like to tell Jesus?

Rea: (in her baby-talkish speak) Thank you my babies, my babies, my babies, my Caesar. Amen.
*side note: Caesar is what she calls one of her grandfathers--my step-dad, Frank.

I almost burst it was so sweet. Of course I immediately ran down stairs and called my mom and step-dad and told them. Precious girl.

I can't wait to see what other amazing things I overhear when my kids take the time to chat with Jesus.

No comments:

background

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker